Tips for Using ZOOM for Video Conferencing
BEFORE THE VIDEO CONFERENCE
You will need:
- A computer, tablet, or smartphone with speaker or headphones. You will have the opportunity to check your audio immediately upon joining a meeting.
- An access link. The meeting organizer will send you an email with a link to click to join the ZOOM meeting.
Otherwise, you will be prompted to download and install ZOOM when you click a join link.
*PRO TIP – Many people find it is easier if you download the software before your first call (though it is not at all necessary).
AT THE TIME OF THE VIDEO CONFERENCE
- On the computer, tablet or smartphone, click the link from your meeting organizer. (If you have not already downloaded the software, you may be instructed to download the ZOOM application. It’s usually really quick!)
- You may receive a pop-up window that asks if ZOOM can access your camera and microphone. Select YES.
- You may have an opportunity to test your audio by clicking on “Test Computer Audio.” Once you are satisfied that your audio works, click on “Join audio by computer.”
- Once you join the meeting, check the microphone and video camera icons in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen. If either of them has a red line striking through the icon, click on the icon to allow access.
- You may also join a meeting without clicking on the invitation link by going to join.zoom.us on any browser and entering the Meeting ID provided by your meeting organizer.
DURING THE VIDEO CONFERENCE
Participant controls are in the lower left corner of the ZOOM screen.
- Mute/Unmute your microphone (far left)
- Turn on/off camera (“Start/Stop Video”)
- Invite other participants
- View Participant list – opens a pop-out screen that includes a “Raise Hand” icon that you may use to raise a virtual hand
- Change the screen name that is seen in the participant list and video window
- Share your screen
*PRO TIP – “Gallery view” lets you see everyone on the call. “Speaker view” shows only the active speaker.
MEETING ETIQUETTE SUGGESTIONS
- Use common courtesy with Mute. ZOOM can be sensitive. If there is background noise at your location (kids, pets, TV, toilet, construction, etc.) and you are not actively speaking in the conversation, please use the mute button so other participants can hear well.
- Stay visually engaged. If you are not paying attention or looking at your camera, other participants will see that.
- Speak up and participate. You’re here for a reason and have something valuable to share with the group. By the same token…
- Do not monopolize the conversation. Allow everyone an opportunity to participate.